Thursday, February 21, 2008

freedom.

17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.-2 Corinthians 3:17

Freedom has many different meanings to many different people, but isn't it something we all want? I've noticed that especially in the teen years a lot of life revolves around the idea of freedom: Bieng able to go places with friends rather than family, getting your liscence, your own car, going to college, living away from home. We view all these things as freedom. We wait in anticipation for all these events. I know I do. I can't tell you the number of times i've desperatly wished for these events to be upon me. But this verse tells us that true freedom is in the Lord, and as nice and as wonderful as all those events are they aren't the kind of freedom that will put us on the right path. I remember a time when I was in my room and I was just about to rip my brothers head off. I wanted so bad to yell and scream at him and make him see how he hurt me. I contemplated throwing anythinng that was in my reach, but then I remembered the many words the bible has against anger. I rembered the verse that said to feed your enemies if they are hungry, give them simething to drink if they are thirsty and in doing so you will heap burning coals on their heads. And for minutes I felt so restrained, I didn't feel free. Look at what he does to me I thought , and I can't show him a fraction of what I feel because I'm a better person! He screams at me , he hits me, and he hurts me with his words, and feels no guilt, and I have to do nothing about it? Then I realized that I really didn't want to yell and scream and carry on, yea I was angry but I didn't want to act like that. I realized God and his words weren't a restriction on me, but a freedom I hadn't connsidered before. They offered me the freedom to walk with God, and to make the right choices. Now when I'm angry and want to lose it I try to remember the freedom I can find in God . I don't always remember within the right time frame, but I have decided that I will choose the freedom that GOD offers me in every respective of my life. So what do you think? What freedom have your experieced in God?

No comments: